Pueblo Grande Ruin, and Irrigation Sites, are pre-Columbian archaeological ruins and sites, both located in Phoenix, Arizona. They include a prehistoric platform mummy and irrigation canals. These resources are managed by the Pueblo Grande Museum archaeological Park.
It was home to a thriving civilization, Huhugam, long before Euroamericans arrived in the area now known as Phoenix. This civilization was founded by O'odham culturally affiliated and Hohokam archaeologists. These Ancestral Native Americans built the structures that are preserved at Pueblo Grande.
This was a Hohokam ballpark, where they played ceremonial games. To observe the game, the villagers sat on top of the mound.
These kitchens were made from mesquite and were used by the O'odham, who are believed to be descendants the Hohokam in the 1600s.
This is an illustration of how a Hohokam home looked 700 years ago.
These replicas show what the Hohokam pit houses looked like 1000 years ago.
These rooms were large with eight-foot walls. These rooms were used to store artifacts.
Miller's Room was named for Dr. Joshua Miller, President, Arizona Antiquarian Association who conducted the first excavation of Pueblo Grande Ruins in 1901.
People with power and influence lived in mounds around their homes, according to legends
An alignment occurs at the sunrise of the summer solstice or the winter solstice. The midpoints of the solar year cycle are indicated by a shaft of light that stretches from one doorway into the next.
Pueblo Grande Ruin Historic Landmark Marker. The US Dept. created the marker and its contents. PD.
The Pueblo GrandeRuin Museum is located in Phoenix, Arizona at 4619 E. Washington St. The National Register of Historic Places reference #66000184 lists the ruins.
Thomas Armstrong donated the platform mound and 5 acres of land around it to the City of Phoenix in 1924. Soon after, Phoenix purchased 10 additional acres south of the platform mausoleum, which was named "Park of Four Waters" and became part of Pueblo Grande Museum & Archaeological Park. Odd S. Halseth, the first American City Archaeologist, was hired in 1929 as the director of Pueblo Grande.
The Pueblo Grande Museum & Archaeological Park expanded and was designated a National Historic Landmark on April 1, 1964. It is made up of two parts that are located on adjacent properties and each have the same history. They were both listed separately on the National Register of Historic Places, as Pueblo Grande Ruin or Hohokamâ€“Pima Irrigation Sites, on October 15, 1966 when all National Historic Landmarks sites were administratively added. The museum houses exhibit galleries and also serves as a repository for the City's archaeological collections.
On top of the Pueblo Grande platform mund, a possible observatory for astronomy was constructed. One room contained doors that could have been aligned with Hole-in-the-rock at the winter solstice and summer solstice.
Archival records show that there was once a Pueblo Grande "big house", similar to the one at Casa Grande National Monument.Phoenix AZ Children's Museum of Phoenix
Get Your Free Estimate!